Presbytidings – May 2015
The Newsletter of First Presbyterian Church
216 West Third Street, Wayne, Nebraska 68787
(402) 375-2669 + www.fpcwayne.org
“Our chief end is to glorify and enjoy God forever.”
A WORD FROM THE PASTOR
Well, the cat is out of the bag: Nearly everyone around has heard that I have accepted a new call to be the chaplain to Lyon College in Batesville, Arkansas. Over the past couple of weeks I have heard people express shock and sadness over my and my family’s departure from Wayne. But I have been overwhelmed and humbled by the expressions of gratitude and support. I am leaving here a blessed person, and I hope that I will leave a blessing as well.
There are a few random things I want you to know as I prepare to move on to this new adventure—in no particular order:
- You are loved. I have loved you, and God loves you. These ten years of walking together through joy and sadness have all been authentic. I have been blessed to share in your lives. I am not leaving because I don’t love you. I am leaving because I have discerned that God is reshuffling the board a bit and moving me one to a new corner of his kingdom.
- God will take care of you. This congregation existed in Wayne long before I arrived, and it will be around long after I leave. God is not done with you yet. So I encourage you to hang in there; invest in each other, care for each other. The interim period can be challenging, but that challenge brings you together and helps you build your identity as a family together. You will be fine.
- Get over me. Yes, it’s important who is in the pulpit every Sunday, and yes, it makes a difference who is the teaching elder for this congregation. But the next pastor doesn’t need to be a Ray clone. Maybe I’m assuming too much (some of you might be relieved that I’m gone!). But congregations can get into trouble when they dwell in the past too much. So forget about me. Embrace the interim pastor. And open your hearts to the next pastor who will call Wayne home.
- The presbytery will help you. They will help you find an interim pastor to fill in, short-term, while you elect a pastor nominating committee from the congregation. There are many competent, compassionate people in our presbytery who can help you through this process.
- Trust each other. The pastor nominating committee will do a good job of prayerfully considering possible pastors. Pray for the committee. Talk about your dreams for this church—not just who the pastor will be, but what you would like to do. You’d be amazed that many of those dreams don’t require a pastor at all. They just take someone like you to make them happen.
- Step up and step in. Losing a full-time pastor will mean that there will be some holes in the life of this congregation. But if we all step up a little, those gaps will be closed. When someone is in the hospital, don’t wait for the pastor to visit him or her. Do it yourself! When there are spots for guest preachers, don’t moan about how “good” or “not-so-good” the past preachers have been. Write a sermon and give it a whirl!
- Be kind to each other. Suspicion can creep in like roaches. Assumptions can foul the water. Trying to wrest control from someone else can be damaging and exhausting. You are a family: siblings of Big Brother Jesus and adopted children of God through faith. None are better or worse. You are all on the same footing. So be grateful for everything and pay attention more to the well-being of others more than who is “right.”
Thank you for your love and support. You will be fine. May the Lord bless and keep you always.
We will celebrate the Lord’s Supper on May 5 and May 31, 2015.
- High School Youth: Wednesday, May 6th.
- High Youth: Wednesday, May 13th.
These will be our final gatherings for this school year.
The final day of church school will be May 10th.
The Session will meet on Monday. May 18 at 7:00pm.
The session has called a congregational meeting for Sunday, May 17, following worship (about 11:00am). The purpose of the meeting is to vote to concur with Pastor Ray’s decision to dissolve the pastoral relationship between him and FPC Wayne. There will also be an opportunity for the congregation to ask questions about the process of finding a new pastor and anything else relevant to his leaving.
FAREWELL POTLUCK & RECEPTION FOR PASTOR RAY AND FAMILY
Please join our church family for a potluck after worship on Sunday, May 31st as we thank Pastor Ray and his family for their 10 years of service to our congregation.
The public is also invited to come from 11:45-1:45 for a cake reception.
The beautiful lilies were given by Jane & Jay O’Leary, Pat Straight, and Wilva Jenkins family. Thank you.
Presbyterian Women will meet on Wednesday, May 6, at 6:30pm. Martha Svoboda will lead the Bible study. Babs Middleton will be the hostess.
The Sewing Souls will meet on Wednesday, May 20th. The hostess will be Judy Lindberg.
VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL UPDATE
We are excited to announce that we will be doing another joint VBS this year! This year it will be Our Savior Lutheran, the First Presbyterian and the First United Methodist. VBS will be July 20-23 from 6:30 – 8:30 at Our Savior Lutheran Church. Sign-up sheets are on the Opportunity table. The theme is Extraordinary!
MISSION GROUP HOSTING
Thank you to those who provided hospitality to the mission group from Lincoln who stayed in Wayne the week of April 20. You are a blessing to those workers!
FROM JANE & JAY O’LEARY
Thank you so much for the beautiful flowers which were at the visitation, funeral and finally back home in our own church.
FIND US ON FACEBOOK
First Presbyterian Church – Wayne, Nebraska
PLEASE PRAY FOR:
- Pastor Ray and his family as they begin a new calling from God
- Our community
- Our schools, administrators, teachers, graduates & students
- Our unchurched neighbors
- All who are battling cancer
- All who live in care centers
- Peace in the Middle East
- Persecuted Christians in Egypt, Pakistan, Iran, Iraq, and North Korea
GREETERS – MAY 2015
5/3 – The Peitz Family
5/10 – The Worner Family
5/17 – The Heese Family
5/24 – Phil & Jean Griess
5/31 – John & Anita Fuelberth, Mark & Jenny Hammer
GREETERS – JUNE 2015
6/7 – Jack & Bev Beeson, Mark & Jenny Hammer
6/14 – Jim Curtiss, Karen Johnson, & Babs Middleton
6/21 – The Pulfer Family
6/28 – Jim Lindau, Joyce Reeg & Pat Straight
LECTORS – MAY 2015
5/3 – Larry Heese
5/10 – Jodi Pulfer
5/17 – Tiffanny Heese
5/24 – Karen Johnson
5/31 – Mark Hammer
LECTORS – JUNE 2015
6/7 – Jim Lindau
6/14 – Jan Liska
6/21 – TBA
6/28 – TBA
ACOLYTES – MAY 2015
5/3 – Braydn McCorkindale
5/10 – Emily Worner
5/17 – Bralen Murphy
5/24 – Genevieve McCalla
5/31 – Nina Hammer
ACOLYTES – JUNE 2015
6/7 – Nina Hammer
6/14 – Andy Wibben
6/21 – TBA
6/28 – Madison Urbanec
May 2015 – First Presbyterian Church
6:00 Scout Den Meeting
6:30 Presbyterian Women
7:30 High School Youth
Last day of Church School
7:30 Jr. High Youth
7:00 Uken Recitals
11:00 Congregation Meeting
2:00 Uken Recitals
7:00 Session Meeting
6:30 Sewing Souls
11:00 Church Potluck
11:45 Pastor Ray’s Reception
(Would you like to see your birthday listed here?
Just contact the church office 402-375-2669 or email@example.com)
3 Joann Proett, Dave Peitz
10 Jeryl Nelson, Bralen Murphy
11 Karen Johnson, Soloman Peitz, Tami Worner
12 Joan Lage
14 Bo Armstrong
15 Jordan Alexander
17 Jaci Alexander
18 Jay and Jane O’Leary, Taytum Joan Sweetland
19 Glenda McDonald
22 Marie Johnson
24 Gail McCorkindale
26 Dale Alexander
GET OUR NEWSLETTER BY E-MAIL
If you would like to receive this newsletter by e-mail (save a stamp, save a tree!), go to www.fpcwayne.org; on the home page, in the right hand column, there is a widget that says, “NEWSLETTER SUBSCRIPTION: Enter your e-mail address to receive Presbytidings, our church’s newsletter, by e-mail.” Enter your address in the white box, and click on the button that says, “Sign me up!” You will need to confirm your subscription through an e-mail message that will be sent to your inbox; this is safe! It is designed to keep spammers out of the picture! Share our newsletter with all your friends and family. Simple